Friday, August 02, 2002

Perspective is botha good and a dangerous thing. On the one hand, I amfocused on what is happening in my own life and not fretting about it. My company is doing well, but I have to be realistic and recognize that it may not make it. So what am I doing about that? I am looking for a full-time job in Dc where my wife and I will be moving come November timeframe. The question then becomes what type of work should I be doing once I get there. I obvious love technology and how it makes things operate more efficiently, but the question is, what aspect of it do I like. Is software sales where I want to be? Will I find that to be creative enough? As far as the "big idea" consulting firms, first of all, I don't really want to travel all that much (overnight at least). Day trips are fine and in those places, you need to come in as a consultant first and then work your way up into sales. So that may not work for me. The thing about products is that it seems less glamorous and "sophisticated" and possibly less sexy than some of the more "creative" arts that the management consultants purvey.

Asher thinks that the management consulting firms would be a waste of my time. He also challenges the idea, which is getting ingrained in my head, that I need to give the big, bad corporate world a whirl. He thinks I would hate it. I don't know, but I feel like it's a mystery to me and it's something I'd like to understand better and learn from more.

Right now, if I had to pick a vertical, I'd say I'm most intrigued by healthcare. There's so much that can be done and needs to be done, because at the end of the day, you are really helping people by using technology to make their lives better. It's about profits and savings, but also real savings...of lives.

If I had to pick a cross-industry, it would be security. I think it's critical for the safety of our country and our civilization and every person on the earth.

Maybe Michael Herskovitz was right...there are a lot of people who need to simply e-ify their businesses. It's not so much about the big ideas right now, it's about the implementation of the basics, keeping things simple. There are always opportunities for innovation, according to Drucker, it's just a question of keeping my eye open for them. So, no matter where I am, I should be able to find something "creative" It's about attitude, not atmosphere. Maybe.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments