Tuesday, May 05, 2009

The Painted Veil…

The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham

Image by Kman999 via Flickr

If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it 1000 times, I just love how I put movies on my Netflix queue, forget about them, and then…they show up, I’m surprised..and enjoy the movie.

This time around, I saw “The Painted Veil,” starring Edward Norton (whose talents I am truly beginning to appreciate and admire). Based on the novel by W. Somerset Maugham, the story takes place in early 20th century China and brings together big ideas (Chinese Nationalism, healthcare epidemiology) and smaller ones (the love found/lost/found again between a man and a woman).

The cinematography was fantastic and whereas some movies are predictable in their ending, I didn’t find this one to be the case.

The ultimate redemption and the path that takes the main characters there made for a fulfilling and invigorating film experience.

 

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments