Saturday, March 13, 2004

"The knowledge of our own mortality is the greatest gift God ever gives us.
IT is so easy to waste our lives : our days, our hours, our minutes. It is so easy to take for granted the pale new growth on an evergreen, the sheen of the limestone on Fifth Avenue, the color of our kids' eyes, the way the melody in a symphony rises and falls and disappears and rises again. It is so easy to exist instead of live. Unless you know there is a clock ticking. So many of us changed our lives when we heard a biological clock and dedided to have kids. But that sounds is murmur compared to the tolling of morality." (A Short Guide to a Happy Life, by Anna Quindlen)

I read this quote last night after an emotional session of welcoming the Shabbat (sabbath) while singing, praying, and holding my 3 month-old daughter, Calanit, in my hands. It is absolutely amazing how much perspective you gain on life with a child. Quindlen's quote is right on. Now, when I'm driving or walking or anything, I think much more about how unexpected things could happen and I may never see my family again. I was in NYC on 9/11 and watched the 2nd Tower fall, but the recent bombing in Madrid really impacted me. Here were regular people just going to work, the way that I do everyday, expecting to see their families that evening and then...poof, they're gone. Being so close to the situation in Israel, you'd think I would have felt this sooner, but I don't know, I guess after 3 months, I'm getting used to the idea of being a father and maybe beyond that, getting used to having "the Pooka" (as she is known-for no reason whatsoever) around. The idea that I may never see her pains me. It's not that I'm morbid about it or that I stress about it, it just makes me appreciate every moment more.

There are times, of course, when I lose perspective on things, but I'm definitely learning to stop and smell the roses more. There are other ramifications about this, of course, but we'll save that for another time.

I've had this blog for 2 years, but never really concentrated on doing it with any regularity. Now, however, I'm thinking there's a possibility that this blog could be therapeutic for me. During my travels in Asia/Europe, I wrote a lot--had more time and less responsibility perhaps, and it helped me clarify my thoughts. I am hoping that this blogging will do some of the same. We'll see. Figure 5-10 minutes every couple o' days.

Books I'm currently reading:
Good to Great by Jim Collins
Why Not? by Barry Nalebuff and Ian Ayres
Leading the Revolution by Gary Hamel
Helping Clients Succeed by Mahan Khalsa

Heavy on the business side, but it's seasonal for me. This is just high tide. In the car, I'm listening to:
Managing in a Time of Great Change by Peter Drucker
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments