Thursday, January 21, 2010

Why Scott Brown Won in Massachusetts…

Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley ...

Image via Wikipedia

This isn’t about politics.

It’s about marketing and perception.

By now, you know that Scott Brown, the Republican beat the Democrat and presumed winner, Martha Coakley for the open Senate seat in Massachusetts. (I won’t call it Ted Kennedy’s seat, since it wasn’t his…it belongs to the people of Mass, but I digress.)

There are many factors at play here, but I’ll focus on one in particular.

As loyal blog reader Jeff said, “Martha Coakley didn’t stay true to your philosophy. She stopped marketing.”

Between Xmas and New Year’s, Coakley took a vacation.

Meanwhile, Scott Brown was out shaking hands at the NHL Winter Classic on New Year’s Day at Fenway Park in Boston.

It’s in moments like these that perception can be strongest. You have to show people that you really want it. You have to ACT like you Want the Business.

Now, I’m not saying that you can never take a break. You certainly can, but it’s the perception of that break which is important.

The perception that Coakley gave was “this is in the bag.”

Not “I’m running as hard as I can and taking 1 day to regroup during this sprint to the finish and to focus on my family since they are the most important thing in my life.”

Brown? Well, let’s just say he’s the first political winner of the Never Stop Marketing award (here are other winners).

 

Post was written while listening to: MC Hammer - - Too Legit to Quit

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments