Sunday, January 24, 2010

Why blog about your personal life?

Every now and then I’ll meet someone who asks me “why do you share so much about your personal life online?”

(Sometimes I meet people who make fun of me, but that’s a different story.)

Why?

Aside from the fact that I like sharing it, I also like hearing how it makes people feel.

I got a note from Jacob the other day, saying he was unsubscribing from this blog.

I didn’t recognize his name and thought that, perhaps, as is sometimes the case, he was a business associate looking for the Never Stop Marketing blog and, accidentally, had chosen the wrong blog.

“No,” he wrote, “I subscribed back when I was first diagnosed with thyroid cancer and was reading about your experiences. I enjoyed your blog and reading about your family and your other musings. It’s just gotten to the point where I can’t keep up with all the other blogs I read.”

So, for 2.5 years, this random guy decided that the stuff I was sharing was of interest to him.

In some ways, though the comparison is probably not apt, I suspect this is what artists look for.

Affect people you’ve never met through your work.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments