Monday, January 18, 2010

Who’s Worth Your Time? A Primer.

My friend, Jamie, sends in the following anecdote. It tells you how to asses who is worth your time and who isn’t.

I have a certain "rule" in place when I network with people.

When I left Barnard for my first job, I entered myself in the alumnae database indicating I would be willing to talk to current students about my job/career path. 

As I changed jobs and developed my career, I always updated my information and over the years I got e-mails from students interested in chatting with me about work, mostly they were looking for jobs and wanted to know how I got my job in news and how I could help them get one as well. 

In the beginning, I would email back and forth with some of them but that took a lot of time and energy. 

I decided chatting over the phone was an easier way to disseminate my wisdom; I could do it quickly, perhaps while walking to work or folding my laundry, but more importantly I could tell immediately whether the person was actually serious about hearing from me or was just going through the motions of "networking." 

So, I changed my policy.  I gave them my phone number and told them I would be happy to speak by phone.

An amazing thing happened.  In almost every single case, that ended the connection!  I never heard from the people again.  The ones who followed through either called me or emailed back to set up a time to chat. 

It was a remarkable weeding process since the ones who were willing to chat by phone happened to be really interesting people that I was delighted to help.

I was able to place two of them in internships, one at MSNBC and one at CNN.  I was able to make further connections for others.  And, I was happy to do this because these people were obviously committed to real networking. 

It has proved to be a remarkably efficient process because 9 times out of 10 people don't want to make the effort to call so I'm not wasting much energy.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments