Sunday, October 12, 2008

Security vs.Volatility...

Banknotes from all around the World donated by...Image via WikipediaLet me start off by saying this is not a 'gloating' post of any kind. Like all of you, my portfolio has taken a big beating over the past few weeks.

But, something did dawn on me as I watched the number shrink.

Back in May when I left MSFT, the NFO's concerns around going the entrepreneurial route were around 'security.' (of a paycheck, at least).

Partly in response to that, I began to build up cash reserves since the nature of working for yourself is that you are more likely to have feast/famine periods. 

The responsible thing was to have cash on hand.

So, here's the ironic twist. In a move to address the perceived volatility of my new career, I started saving and not investing in 401k, etc.

Which means that, had I been employed in a full-time salaried position, we would have lost MORE because I wouldn't have had as much cash on hand (as I would have been investing all along)

Makes me think about security and volatility in a whole new way. What seems 'secure' or 'volatile' may not always be that way...
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments