Friday, October 10, 2008

Dear Jewish Charities....

Typical junkmail.Image via WikipediaI know it is High Holiday season.

I know that people are more likely to give donations now than any other time of year.

So, yes, it is a good idea to send solicitations now. We're in a repenting sort of mood.

But, you know what is stupid?

Selling the names on your list to other charities.

Yes, times are tough...and for those who do work in Israel, a dollar doesn't go as far. That's for sure. But, you are cutting yourself off at the knees. Penny wise, pound foolish.

You see, you're not on the receiving end of 5, 10, 15 pieces of direct mail per day.  By selling my name to other charities (with whom I have NO relationship), you are just clogging up my mailbox, and losing the war for my attention.

And, everybody loses. Including you.

I don't even bother to read your well-crafted 5 page letter about whatever it is you do or who you help.

So, they all go in the trash, er, recycling.

Yours...along with the ones to whom you sold.

Instead, I figure out who respects me enough not to bombard me...and I give them my charitable donations.

We're entering an era where it is going to easier and easier for me to prevent your communications (of all types) from ever showing up if I don't want to hear from you.

So, you need to respect my wishes, build the relationship with me, and not contribute to spamming (yes, I know it's not kosher, but so are your stupid marketing practices) my mailbox.

IF you don't, you're going to get even less donations (from everybody) over the long haul.

Sincerely,

a Marketer who generally cares about your mission


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments