Saturday, October 25, 2008

Malcolm X (Movie review)

Malcolm X holding an M1 Carbine and peering out of a window in 1964. The photo illustrated his intention to defend himself against the frequent death threats he was receiving.Image via WikipediaImage via WikipediaIt's been said before, but Denzel Washington is THE MAN.

He just did a superb job in this movie. It's worth seeing for that alone.

Back in high school, I had read the Autobiography of Malcolm X and remember having a certain impression. He was a radical, an extremist, a racist.

I thought the Spike Lee movie about Malcolm X  did a fair job of changing my impression.

It provided context without being overly biased. It enriched my understanding of the Black struggles of the '60's. I like how it explored some of the black on black issues and how those played a factor as well.

It's a two-disc set (and took me 3 nights to watch), but the story was engrossing and well worth it.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments