Sunday, September 29, 2019

Rosh Hashana Intention

Tonight begins Rosh Hashana, the Jewish New Year, so it's the perfect time for reflection and introspection.

I definitely find myself at an interesting point in life.  Like many, I've started to think about bigger questions of long-term impact and my purpose, while also thinking about my interconnectivity with others.

This line of thinking doesn't come naturally to me and there are plenty of times when I find myself reverting back to a self-centered, elitist, know-it-all, arrogant mentality.  It's frustrating when that happens, but one of the things I have learned as a result of the meditation efforts and study of the mind and consciousness is the need for self-compassion. I am definitely sometimes too hard on myself.

As we head into Rosh Hashana, I have outlined my intention for the holiday which is to contemplate the idea of Fatherhood and Husbandhood (if that's a word).

For so long (and probably too long), I have just "done" the role, but I haven't really thought about it with as much intention as I would like.

I've tried to become more intentional in many parts of my life (see this post from my other blog on Flow), and I want to do a bit more of the same in these two roles which are, of course, some of the most significant.

It is my hope that through the liturgy, stories, tunes, and community of the holiday (and the following days leading to Yom Kippur- which is my favorite holiday), that I can begin the journey of a thousand Li with one step.

Speaking of Lao Tzu, I was re-reading Tao Te Ching recently and found some interesting similarities between Chapter 33 and the opening of Pirkei Avot (Ethics of the Fathers, a well-known Jewish text).

In the Tao Te Ching (in my translation), it says:
He who overcomes others is strong; he who overcomes himself is mighty.

He who is satisfied with his lot is rich;


In Chapter 4 of Pirkei Avot, it says:
Who is strong? One who overpowers his inclinations. 
Who is rich? One who is satisfied with his lot.
Since Lao Tzu predates Yehuda HaNassi (he put the mishna together), I am left wondering:
  • are these just universal truths obvious to any philosopher?
  • was there any knowledge exchange between China and ancient Near East?
Something else to ponder, but either way, good advice.

Oh..and I taught my first meditation class last week. It was a great experience and I am grateful to Sara S., Michael M., and Michael G. for encouraging me and providing me with support. Plus, the brave souls who were willing to be my guinea pigs.

Shana Tova
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments