Thursday, June 16, 2005

No matter what, you need to wake up and start running

I just finished Tom Friedman's book "The Lexus and the Olive Tree" about Globalization. It was fantastic and aided my understanding of many of the trends that I've seen.

Perhaps I'm paranoid (or just a student of Andy Grove), but I do ask myself on a weekly basis "what part of my job could be done in India?"

He relates a great story about the challenges of the age of Globalization.

In Africa, every night the lion goes to sleep knowing that in the morning, he must run faster than the slowest gazelle if he's going to eat. The gazelle goes to sleep knowing that he must run faster than the fastest lion if he's going to live.

The one thing they both know is that when they wake up, they had better both start running!

Now, the kicker is....how do you run at full speed, but watch everything go by in slow motion so you can make those tremendous insights based on observation?
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments