Thursday, July 01, 2010

What’s a “Broken Record?”

A compact disc (CD) utilizing chalcogenide gla...

Image via Wikipedia

The kids started a new camp the other day and we love it, but there was some glitch that prevented Jokkanen from getting the swimming lessons for which he had been signed up.

After the first missed lesson, we mentioned it.

Then, he missed a 2nd one.

I went back to the head counselor, a young woman of about 17 and said, “I don’t want to sound like a broken record, but…”

Then, it occurred to me that, while she probably KNEW what I meant, she had never experienced the sensation of HEARING a broken record.

Perhaps I should have said, “I sound like a scratched CD that is skipping” or “an mp3 that is stalling because your microprocessor is being taxed too much.”

Interesting how colloquialisms we use can become outdated without even realizing it.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments