Friday, July 23, 2010

A 12 Year Odyssey

Torah inside of the former Glockengasse synago...
Image via Wikipedia
The 5 books of Moses are broken up into 54 distinct sections (known as “parshiyot”).

Over the course of the year, one of them is read each week to complete the annual cycle (yes, there are some double parsha weeks to account for the calendar)

Each of the “parshas” is then sub-divided into 7 sections (known as “aliyot”).

The torah is read aloud (almost always) by a designated chanter on behalf of the congregation.

Reading from the Torah requires a familiarity with Hebrew as well as the musical notes that instruct how the words are to be read (much like an orchestra knows how to play a note).

With that background out of the way…
About 12 years ago, roughly, I decided that it would be a fun, attainable goal to set out to chant the entire Torah (all 378 aliyot) in a public, synagogue setting.

This would not be something that could be in one year (well, it could be), but, for me, on average (given the other constraints on my life), it takes about 4-6 weeks to get a full parsha down to a level of mastery.

Others do it faster, some slower, but that’s my pace without killing myself.

So, of course, I built a spreadsheet (here) where I could track which ones I had done and which I needed to do.

Well, this journey (God willing) is coming to an end this Saturday morning, as I have 4 aliyot in the parsha known as “VaEtchanan” to complete and then I will be done.

I don’t feel so much pride as I do an appreciation of the size and scope of the 5 Books of Moses and an intimacy with the text.

Some have asked “what’s the next goal?”

Answer: I don’t know.

Of course, I still have 3 states left to visit ;-)

If you are in the neighborhood, you can join us at the 7am service (and the reception afterwards which we are sponsoring) at 8.45am. [I get up earlier on Sat. morning than any other day of the week!]
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments