Tuesday, July 13, 2010

On the whole, you’re a great guy…

Some people go through life worrying at every turn that they might offend others.

I don’t.

It’s not my goal to irritate people, of course, but my personality is such that, on occasion, it does happen.

A few weeks ago, I made a mistake and upset a friend.

He was hurt. Really hurt.

I apologized and figured that the relationship would either:

  1. never be the same
  2. take a long time to heal

He sent me a note about something else and we began to exchange emails. I brought up the issue of my immediate past transgression.

His response:

Despite the occasional failings, on the whole I still think you are a great guy! 

That meant a lot and said a lot about him. He wasn’t going to let one incident outweigh all of the other positive experiences we’ve had.

And I guess that sums up my approach…I will certainly do my best to be a great guy so that, when the inevitable misstep does occur, that’s the reaction you have.

Sure, it doesn’t work for everyone, but it does for me.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments