Monday, July 19, 2010

The Business/Personal Line and “social” media…

One of the questions I get asked most often is:

“do I really want my ‘business’ associates to know anything about my personal life?”

My answer has always been:

“While I may not care that your 7 year old niece had a birthday party, it’s not the kind of thing that will keep me from doing business with you. Now, if you are cavorting around with prostitutes in Bangkok, well, that’s another issue.”

And the flip argument is that…when all is said and done, people buy/work/connect with other people and, when you have a fuller understanding of the people in your world, you are more likely to be able to work with them more effectively.

As it turns out, I ran into a former Microsoft colleague of mine, Michael Moore, the other day. He reads both this blog and my “work” blog.

In this video, he shares why and the benefit for both of us.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments