Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Steal a Pencil for Me (Movie)

{{BArch-description|1=KZ Auschwitz, Einfahrt P...

Image via Wikipedia

I’ve seen a LOT of Holocaust subject movies. I lived in Germany and studied the topic.

At one point, I even had a tattoo on my arm with the number “6,000,000” on it (a subject of another post…someday). Suffice it to say, I’ve spent a huge amount of time on the subject and firmly believe that we can NEVER FORGET.

Yet, despite that, (and I’m extremely embarrassed to say it), the thought of “another Holocaust movie” was what held me back for a few weeks before watching Steal a Pencil for Me.

(And it’s just that type of attitude which must be confronted since, no matter how much you study it, you just can’t understand it.)

Still, the move was on my Netflix queue (and recommended to me) for a reason. So I watched it and I am so glad I did.

Not just for a moving, completely unique perspective on the Holocaust, but for a moving, completely unique perspective on life and love.

The couple portrayed (the Polaks) met, fell in love, and developed as a couple in the most horrific circumstances, but they show you the power of love to motivate us.

Jack, at one time, traded his daily ration for a pencil just so he could write love letters.

The story is both romance and horror all at once and, what makes it so special is its ability to bring light to such a dark time.

Get it…and watch it. Don’t delay like I did. Your worldview will be better off for it.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments