Thursday, April 29, 2010

Civilizations die from suicide…not murder

This, according to Alfred Toynbee, and in Richard Evans’ scary screed against the public school education system in America, he warns that if we don’t fix things fast, that is our destiny.

Three pages into this book, I was shaken to my core, as I realized that Richard was on to something.

I’ve known Richard for 12 years and he advises some of the world’s largest companies. He was also a member of his local school board for a long time.

In short, he’s not an idiot and he knows what he’s talking about.

The real question isn’t whether he is right or not, the real question is if we are willing to listen and then have the cojones to do anything about it.

Unfortunately, I’m skeptical. Which saddens me.

Coloring Our Way to Calamity: Globalization, the Public Schools and Your Children is a parable of a lone woman (Beth) in a New Hampshire town who realizes the the combination of the Teachers Union (you know how I feel about the teachers union already), the school board, the grading system, and host of other issues are wreaking havoc on the educational future of our children.

Beth valiantly attempts (with marginal success) to make changes, but the forces of inertia and self-centeredness keep her at bay.

As the back cover states:

“Dealing with low wage competition from overseas is not just "an" issue for our children's lives, it will turn out to be "the" issue, completely dwarfing all others. In this century, globalization, and its inevitable economic impact on jobs here at home, will be the fight of America's life.”

From what I’ve seen of globalization and education, I think Richard is spot on. It’s going to be a fight and I’m not even sure that America is in it.

This won’t be a best-selling book. The folks who don’t want you to hear about it, will keep it down. That’s why you should get it.

Disclosure: Richard sent me a copy of the book for review.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments