Monday, June 12, 2017

The Paris Climate Accord and What I'm Doing About It

Over the past few years, I've become increasingly concerned about climate change.

I really worry about it.

Trump or no Trump, I am increasingly skeptical about government's ability (US or otherwise) to actually solve big problems.

It's sad.

But that doesn't mean I am going to sit around and wait for someone else to fix the problem.

Here's what I am committing to in order to do my little part.

  1. I've committed to a near vegan lifestyle (for now, I still eat eggs).
    Like it or not, the meat and dairy we eat probably does more to impact the environment than carbon emissions. That's an inconvenient truth.
  2. I intend to not buy another plastic water bottle unless it's a truly life threatening situation. (Note: this doesn't apply to my wife and/or kids and I won't judge them for it.) I will carry a refillable water bottle with me wherever I go.
  3. I will bring a refillable coffee mug when I go out for coffee whenever I can (let's call this 50% of the time).
  4. I have solar panels on my roof.
  5. I will continue to compost.
  6. I will continue my work with blockchain-based technology, because I believe that it powers a new type of decentralized organizations that are going to be better suited to solve these big problems.
  7. I will continue to migrate (when possible) to more efficient lighting in my home.
Will this save the world by itself? Probably not. But if we go down, it's not going to be for my lack of effort.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments