Monday, July 11, 2011

How do you know Josh? A Social Network Story

My brother is interning at Dell this summer in Round Rock, TX.

Being the “connector” that I am/wish to be, I suggested that he meet a friend of mine, Josh Duncan, who lives in the Austin area and used to work at Dell.

A few days ago, after they met, Barak called me and asked: “How do you know Josh?”

“You know,” I replied, “I’ve actually never met him in person, but…”

  • 3 years ago, he commented on a blog post I wrote
  • that led to an email exchange, which led to
  • a phone call
  • then, I started reading his blog
  • we friended each other on Facebook, LinkedIn
  • and followed each other on Twitter
  • he joined a conference call I hosted for “friends of Never Stop Marketing
  • and then we did a Skype interview about my eBook for his blog

Over time, we’ve brokered introductions to other members of our network for each other.

There are those who decry the advent of social technologies, in that it takes us away from “real” human relationships. That certainly happens.

But, the other side happens as well.

And we’re all richer for it.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments