Tuesday, April 05, 2011

The Last Lullaby?

The other night, Lakkanen was inconsolable. Throwing a massive temper tantrum. Refusing to go to bed.

I had to hold her down in her bed until she calmed down, sort of a "break her will" kind of moment.

I hate doing it, but sometimes, it is necessary.

As she got quiet, I asked her if she would like it if I sang her a song.

She nodded Yes.

I selected one song which the NFO and I had sung to her (and the others) when they were in their cribs.

Now, as she's 3 and on a mattress and (hopefully) soon potty-trained, I wondered how many more times EVER I would sing her a lullaby like this.

Tikkanen and Jokinen, at 7 and 5, don't really get lullabys anymore. They just kind of go to bed (usually).

It just dawned on me that, here again, was one of those transition points in life.  I started to choke up and get teary eyed, recognizing that another milestone was about to pass by.

So, I did all I could to savor it as I stroker her hair and her eyes closed.

And, of course, that's why I blog.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments