Friday, April 15, 2011

Buenos Aires: Paris of the South…

Tango

Image via Wikipedia

The last time I was here was 7 years ago. Here’s my blog post from then…now you know why I blog!

It was also winter.

Summer’s definitely better. That I can say.

Well, technically it was the first day of Fall, but still, it’s a glorious city with great architecture, wide open avenues, and people with a great appreciation of life.

That is, in spite of some of the challenges they’ve faced.

I feel like when I was here 7 years ago, the country was on the upswing economically. They had survived their most recent panic and were rebounding.

Well, unfortunately, it seems like the story is being played out again. Last year, inflation was 30%. There’s a distrust of the government (at least by the upper/middle classes) because, among other reasons, the President is the wife of the immediate past (now deceased) President, Nestor Kirchner.

That is a representation of the widespread corruption that is common in many Latin American countries.

Still, despite it all, and despite the fact that Argentines need to be currency traders as a hedge, they have a wonderfully joyous attitude. 

As is my travel philosophy, I spent a few hours walking through the San Telmo district and sitting in a café at the Plaza Dorrego, watching some Tango dancers and taking advantage of the free wi-fi.

It was a beautiful day, about 80 degrees and I stopped to think about how fortunate I am to be blessed to get to travel and see the world as it evolves. Especially to come back to a place where I had been in the past.

Honestly, the best thing about Argentina right now for Americans…it’s really affordable. Combine that with the weather and it’s a worthwhile travel destination.

On the one hand, Argentina is exciting. On the other, it’s a bit sad…I wish they didn’t have to go through this ongoing cycle or economic fluctuation.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments