Monday, August 09, 2010

Council of Dads: Preparing for Death

Long time blog readers know that I have a “break glass in case of emergency document.”

It’s focused on the financial elements of running our lives so that the NFO can receive assistance from capable folks and there is clarity about the elements of our financial interests and obligations.

For Father’s Day, the NFO gave me a copy of Bruce Feiler’s book, Council of Dads.

The author was diagnosed with cancer and he knew there was a chance we wouldn’t survive the treatment.

He took my document one BIG step forward.

For his 2 twin daughters, he realized the void that he would leave and he sought a way to fill it.

He assembled a list of 6 men who, by committee, would be able to help his girls as a father figure. Each man represented a different part of Feiler’s outlook, but together, they could begin to serve the role of the dad for them in all of its myriad of forms.

It’s an inspiring idea and one that I’ve taken to heart.  I haven’t yet made up a list of a potential council of Dads, but it seems like a good idea. After all, you never know when tragedy will strike.

Like having insurance, a group of guys who appreciate me and can provide my kids with the male perspective on life seems like a good idea.

So does picking up the book.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments