Monday, June 21, 2010

No toilet paper, no electricity- NO Impact Man is a winner.

No lights, no refrigerator, no Starbucks coffee…and more. What if you voluntarily chose to give all of that up for a year?image

Well, that’s what No Impact Man: The Documentary is all about.

A writer, who lives in New York City, decided that he, his wife and their 2 year old daughter would try to live for 1 whole year and create NO environmental impact whatsoever.

No heat, no air conditioning, no carbon-based travel, no food from more than 150 miles away.

Intense indeed.

But, this wasn’t a movie about a fringe lunatic, it was about going to the extreme in order to recalibrate to a more sustainable, balanced middle.

And about appreciating the interconnectedness of the world’s eco-system.

I found it moving and inspiring…as well as being a significant wake-up call.

What’s more, it motivated me to buy this composter (which hopefully will work-even though I am a bit nervous about it) to at least give it a shot. I had been holding off, but the movie made me feel like I needed to act today.

Bottom line: this movie was an important step for me in my growing consciousness of the impact of the consumer society in which we live and, more importantly, motivated me to take a concrete step.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments