Friday, June 25, 2010

Do it now!

Those of you who know my mom, know that she lives the mantra “never stop marketing.” You can call her at midnight and she’s just warming up. That’s why she gets pay to do what she does.

One of the things she taught me growing up, in her whirlwind style of making stuff happen is “do it now!” (She’s not call the Ueber-Yenta for nothing, you know)

What this usually referred to was homework assignments.

I was the annoying kid who had his essays and projects done a few weeks in advance and rarely had to stay up the night before to cram it in.

You know what?

That skill has been serving me REALLY well, as of late.

June has been, by far, the busiest month in the history of the company.

Two BIG presentations as well as the usual flurry of activities and proposals.

Thanks to my mom, however, I saw this tidal wave looming and at the end of May, I sat down and said, “I don’t necessarily feel like doing this now, but I know that if I do, I’ll feel less stressed, deliver better results, and, most importantly, be prepared for the unexpected surprise.” (the only thing expected, of course, is that it will come, just don’t know how.)

And thanks to that strategy, this month (though certainly trying and tiring) has been nowhere near as stressful or difficult as it could have been.

Plus, it’s given me the flexibility to handle other things that have popped up.

Thanks, mom.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments