Monday, March 17, 2008

Honesty and Parenting

Tonka came home from a birthday party on Sunday with a bag full of goodies.

Then, she turned to me and said, "where's my bag of cookies from last week's birthday party?"

I paused. I had thrown them out. I looked at her.

"They were over there," pointing to exactly where they had been.

I took a deep breath and realized I was having a "Strong Father/Strong Daughter" moment.

"Tonka," I said, "I threw them out."

She looked hurt. Very hurt.

"...for two reasons. First, they were a week old, but the 2nd reason is I
felt that you didn't need anymore sugar. You had a lot of sugar today and you
just got another bag of treats. I felt like it was too much, so I threw them
out."



She was a bit angry, but when I asked if she understood, she nodded. And I got another hug. Guess I'll have to ask her for feedback again, eh?
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments