Monday, September 01, 2014

Labor Day- A Quaint Holiday of a Bygone Era

These ideas of national holidays where you take off work are starting to seem anachronistic to me.

As we move towards an economy of anytime/anywhere access and accountability/outcome versus time/input, it just seems like something that doesn't make sense.

I don't get paid by the hour. Many of you don't either.

If I have a deadline, I have to hit it. It is my responsibility to get it done on time. Whether I choose to work on Labor Day or not is up to me.

In a factory where you stand there and get paid for an hour's worth of work and you can't get it done unless the factory is open, something like Labor Day might make sense.

But in an information economy where your laptop/tablet and wi-fi are all you need, a "day off" is up to you, not to some mandated time period.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments