Wednesday, June 06, 2012

The Rabbit’s Foot and the Gift from a Father

Every now and then fate just intervenes.

With my (relatively) new gig, I have (I’ll admit) been struggling with the issue of work/life balance (and I know I am not alone with that).

My buddy, Aaron Stopak sent me a note, introducing me to Allan Horlick, author of Rabbit's Foot, A Gift From My Father, who was looking for some help promoting his book.

Now, Aaron had missed my note announcing my move to Sprinklr (I guess I’m not as good a marketer as I think), so it wasn’t a good fit, but I did say to Allan…”send me the book, I’ll read it, and happy to offer some suggestions.”

And he did….and, it was like a whack upside the head.

The book is about a man (roughly my age) who is totally focused on his career…to the detriment of his family life.

Over the course of an engrossing story (which had some highly relevant angles-e.g. the protagonist is a big Redskins fan), you can’t help but come to terms with what is really important in life.

While the prose is not Hemingway quality, I think the imagery is just first-rate and the fact that most of us can find a bit of ourselves in the story makes this one worth picking up.

In fact, in the hours and days after reading the book (which I should say, I finished over the course of 2 days), I found myself thinking more and more about it and asking myself if I was living my life consistent with my values.

If that’s not the purpose of a book, I don’t know what is.

It did change my life. Enough said.

Particularly point as we head into Father’s Day…for all the dads out there trying to figure out how to do it all.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments