Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Calling of Harley-Davidson…

Daytona Beach Bike Week

Image by ottofocus13 via Flickr

The word “vocation” comes from the Latin vocatio, which means “a calling.”

The other day, I was teaching a class and talk about Raving Fans. During the class, I put up a picture of a few people with Harley-Davidson tattoos on different parts of their body.

As I was talking about the passion these people had for the brand, I was transported back to Daytona Bike Week in 1998 where I was in a convenience store.

Walking through the aisles, I saw a gentleman wearing a jean jacket (well, vest, as the sleeves had been cut off) and on one tricep was tattooed the word “Harley” and on the other “Davidson.”

At that moment, I asked myself: “what possesses someone to feel so strongly about a for-profit enterprise that they would go to those lengths to display their allegiance to the world?”

And then, the follow on question, how can I help others inspire that same passion for their customers?

I think that’s where the true journey began.

And that’s what I’ve been studying and practicing ever since.

Thanks for joining me on this trip down memory lane.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments