Friday, May 07, 2010

So, I didn’t get arrested…

I’ll admit it.

I’ve been known to jay-walk on occasion.

Having lived in NYC, it’s a habit that I picked up.

The other day, I was downtown in DC headed toward the National Gallery of Art.

A few people were waiting at the cross-walk and there were NO cars.

They weren’t in a rush, but heck, my company is based on perpetual motion. I looked, saw that there was no perceptible danger and marched across the street.

“Sir!” someone yelled at me.

I turned.

I had walked right by a police officer.

“Come on, sir,” he said. “I’m standing right here.”

“True,” I replied.

“I can’t let you do that. What would people say if I let you and something happened?”

“Good point. You know, I’d like to call your boss and commend you for the job you just did.”

He was very polite and friendly.

So, I called his boss and told him that Officer Mike Bland of the Metropolitan Police Department had done the unit proud.

Then, on my way home, I saw some officers practicing at the National Police Memorial.

Another reason to appreciate the men and women in blue.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments