Monday, June 22, 2009

One Way to Manage the Facebook News Feed Overflow…

A few weeks ago, a close friend of mine said “do you know what is going on with me?”

I didn’t.

Turns out he had had back surgery and though he had posted updates to Facebook, because of the number of people with whom I had friends (and thus the large number of updates in my ‘news feed,’) I had missed it.

This troubled me.

There are levels of friends and relationships and, let’s be honest, certain people I care more about than others. Nothing wrong with that.

The flip side, however, is that there are often “weak links/ties” with people that over time grow into deeper friendships…or just stay as acquaintanceships (is that a word?)

And I don’t want to give up on that.

For a while, I didn’t know what to do.

Then, it dawned on me, so obvious.

Every time I friend someone, I add them to a Category. “FOJ” for personal friends. “Biz/Marketing” for business friends. “Japan” for people who I know from Japan or are interested in that subject.

I had intended to use it for sharing information, but now I use it to help filter which information I consume.

Just thought I’d share it.

image

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments