Sunday, July 17, 2005

Infant Training Camp


We have some great friends who live two blocks away from us. Their names are: Jeremy and Tamar. Yes, you read that correctly.

Even better, the other Tamar is having a baby and she's due basically the same day as "my" Tamar is due.

I was speaking with Tamar #2 this morning and the usual polite conversation regarding how each of the Tamars was feeling during the penultimate month of the pregnancy arose.

Tamar 2 is experiencing the same problems that Tamar 1 is. It's difficult and uncomfortable for her to sleep.

I expressed sympathy.

"It's all part of God's plan," Tamar said. "If a woman goes from a solid 8 hours a night to having to get up every two hours, it would be too much of a shock to the system. This way, she's ready for when the baby is born."

"I like that," I said, "kind of like training camp."

Then, I realized the next logical step in the argument.
"Well, if that's the case, then it would seem that men, who are going from a solid 8 hours would suffer too much of a shock to the system and probably shouldn't get up in the middle of the night to do the feedings."

"I hadn't quite taken it to that step," Tamar replied.

[This pre-supposes that theere is not another child in the house that gets up early-witness the fact that it is 4am now and Calanit is sitting next to me eating Cheerios]

Later, I shared the 'Training Camp' idea with my Tamar, who indicated that she had shared the same viewpoint with me many times, further highlighting my poor spousal listening skills.

After backing myself into a hole by essentially admitting-again-that I don't hear when my wife talks, I valiantly tried to explain that it would be too great of a shock to my system to get up in the middle of the night for feedigns since I hadn't gone through the Training Camp.

My wife, the lawyer, denied my appeal.

Picture at right: most recent sonogram of Baby #2
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments